Monday, September 01, 2008

So my brother-in-law Dick sends the following picture with the caption: Where is it written that you need water to snorkel?



To which I email back: I think it's written in the general rules of snorkeling - or at least in Wikipedia....

Snorkeling (British spelling: snorkelling) is the practice of swimming at the surface of a body of water while equipped with a diving mask, a shaped tube called a snorkel, and usually swimfins. In cooler waters, a wetsuit may also be worn. Combining these tools allows the snorkeler to observe underwater attractions for extended periods of time with relatively little effort.

Dick replies: And if I am correct the Human Body of Water (98%) completed for me
All that is necessary...fins are there.

To which my brother Jason replies: Wiki is good, but Merriam-Webster's can be counted on for the definitive answer...

Snorkeling
One entry found.

snorkel[2,intransitive verb]

Main Entry:
2snorkel
Function:
intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s):
snor·keled; snor·kel·ing Listen to the pronunciation of snorkeling \-k(ə-)liŋ\
Date:
1949

: to operate or swim submerged using a snorkel

So, as I read it, you need to submerge yourself into your own human body of water and operate with a snorkel. That's a photo-op I shall await with great anticipation!

Jason

No comments: